Insomnia or Restless Sleep
Are you suffering from insomnia?
Insomnia, it is the inability to fall asleep and stay asleep. It affects so many people daily. Some people have difficulty either falling asleep, staying asleep or getting back to sleep, or all of the above.
Sometimes major changes in our life can affect our sleep and sleep quality such as an emotional event, or stressors in our life, which may cause the insomnia. Insomnia can be short term or long term. People can experience one symptoms or insomnia or all symptoms of insomnia. Other symptoms of insomnia can include the following:
- Falling asleep
Waking up lots of time during the night
Not feeling like you’ve had enough sleep
Not feeling refreshed during the day
Feeling extremely tired during the day
Little or no concentration during the day .
Not having enough sleep during the night either for short term or long term can have severe effects on your life. Getting enough sleep is important because it helps rejuvenate the body, improve concentration and memory retention. Short term and long term insomnia can affect your concentration and ability to do tasks.
Reasons for Insomnia?
There may be one factor or a number of factors that can cause insomnia.
1. Stress- work or home life. Major changes in work or home life can have a significant affect on us, and can be the cause for insomnia.
2. Temperature in the bedroom, too hot or too cold
3. Lighting- sometimes too much, make sure your bedroom is dark enough. You can try block out blinds.
4. Drug use that also includes stimulants such as caffeine found in coffee and soft drinks.
5. Untreated depression- you should see your doctor if you feel that everything is getting too much for you, or everything is getting on top of you.
How to improve Insomnia:
Exercise- but avoid it 3-4 hours before going to bed
Relaxation techniques- yoga is good to help focus the mind
Avoid caffeine very late in the day
Go to bed at the same time every night and switch off electronic gadgets at least half an hour before trying to sleep.
Change your pillow or mattress. Drink more water.