Breastfeeding twins or more babies
Breastfeeding twins or multiples can be a concern for some mums, worrying about whether there will be enough breast milk for both or more babies. For some multiples, early birth can arrive unexpectedly or planned, so it is important for mums to be prepared.
breastfeeding twins options:
- You can try by starting off with one baby at a time. This may be helpful when you are learning to breastfeed.
- You can feed them at the same time. Faster feeding, means more time for other things and you can enjoy the moment with both babies.
- Each baby has their own breast.
- Or swapping may be important if one baby is stronger at sucking the breast more strongly, thereby increasing the breast milk in both breasts.
- Feeding both babies at once.
Types of positions:
- Football hold
- Parallel hold
- Criss cross hold
Who to contact
If you have any concerns about breastfeeding more than one baby, please contact the Breastfeeding Helpline on 1800 mum 2 mum (1800 686 268) to speak to a counsellor or visit the Australian Breastfeeding Association website.